Tuesday, February 23, 2010

No Comment by Tony Green

I was poking around of blogger.com after a long day of work and I checked how many blogs had comments associated with them.

One blog I read which happened to be written by “chemist” caught my eye. The blogger mentioned he had been to California for the first time for work remarked about its beauty and how ideal a place it would be to live. This did not surprise to me as I have lived in the Bay Area for eight years and could not think of living anywhere else.

The point, which caught my attention, was the number of remarks on his blogs as he traveled from place to place reporting the sights of the places he visited. Some comments simply stated, “right on”.

I wondered if this person worked as an accomplished blogger with a loyal following. State in another way, were all of the bloggers who commented looking around the Internet like me and stumbled across this blog entry? One way or another folks had taken time to respond on his entries and only just touching the blogs I had written.

As you might expect comments are not the reason I write my personal blog, I mean every dumb ass can write about anything and post material on the Internet so I figured why not. On many occasions, other people’s blogs are more informative and pertinent than the published material in the mass media. However, I thought to myself, how do I get more people to comment as I write?

In my view, blogging comes down to writing content, which strike a strong enough chord with people to respond.

My initial thought postulated the folks who read all my blogs failed to comment must have done do for the following reasons. Conceivably, they did not take time to comment. Perhaps they had nothing to say. Another possibility was they did not know how to express what they thought. Here is a funny one, my content was interesting and my readers are out to lunch. Seriously, the most likely reason was the thoughts I penned on paper simply did not warrant commenting, as what I wrote had no meaning to anyone.

Whew! Now my secret is out in the open. With that thought just to be safe, I should get to work on creating valuable content. This will in all likelihood serve me better creating quality than to wonder about what I created in the past.

Photo courtesy of Elymedia.com

No comments: