Friday, February 12, 2010

Vietnamese New Year by Tony Green

Tony Green in Ao Dai during Vietnamese New Year 2007
Tony Celebrating the New
 Year Vietnamese style
Traditionally the Chinese mark the coming of the new year by having massive celebrations and parties. In fact, many countries in the Pacific region celebrate the occasion with the Chinese. One of these countries is Vietnam.

The New Year is known as Tết is celebrated on the same day as Chinese New Year. It takes place from the first day of the first month of the lunar calendar (around late January or early February) until at least the third day. Tết shares many of the identical customs of its Chinese counterpart, having been derived from it.

Two years ago I was employed by a Vietnamese company and management allowed everyone to dress up to celebrate the occasion. The company rented us Vietnamese style costumes to wear for the party. At the time the outfit I wore was red in color and is referred to as “Ao Dai”. Later I learned clothing featuring the color red is worn throughout the Chinese New Year because the Vietnamese believe red will scare away evil spirits and bad fortune.

In addition, people typically wear new clothes from head to toe to symbolize a new beginning in the New Year. Wearing up-to-the-minute clothes also symbolizes having more than enough things to use and wear.

Tết is coming, the year of the Tiger is beginning on February 11 and as I approach the Chinese New Year it seems clear after the events of the previous year I could use something to ward away the bad vibe the past year as brought. The time is about a beginning and moving past he old. The red garb might be a good idea to change the karma. In this case the company is footing the bill. How expensive can the garb be? At this time I between positions therefore I perhaps should make mature decisions on how I spend my money. Money, however, is not everything and does not purchase good fortune. In that case should I splurge on this one? I always thought I looked good in red.

No comments: