Monday, February 22, 2010

Why do I subject myself to this? By Tony Green

One day you go to you work and you have a bad day. The job was miserable therefore many days were lousy which is why you were trying to move on to something better.
Even though circumstances were adding up to this the pink slip is still a surprise. You figured you do your job as they were paying you and once you landed something else you would leave with your head held high.

I live in Silicon Valley and if you had not guessed I work in high-tech and just found out I received a lay-off notice once the economy becomes challenging.
The last time I thought, “This is an aberration”. At this point, I asked why do stay here and deal with this? I possess qualities which are valuable to any company.

Let’s look at the question like this. I am in high-tech industries where once things go south for a company for whatever the reason employee are shown “the gate” as reducing headcount is the quickest way to cut costs.

Every employee who gets laid off is not doing a bad job. The fact still stays the same; you need to get another job in order to keep bills paid while explaining to your future prospective employer’s on why your co-workers were chosen to stay.
As for the future I wanted to choose a new job I enjoyed. My mother has suggested that I get a government job in spite of its long and inefficient application process.
Truth be told, there is nothing wrong with working for the government. Civil service positions are safe jobs you will maintain your employment unless a criminal offense is committed and get a pension you are finished. Most importantly you will not get laid off.

Upon thought is being safe what I covet? Or would I like an opportunity to succeed in the place where many have taken risks and if they did not become millionaires did very well for themselves?

I yearn for a chance to achieve something among the world’s most talented individuals in the most innovative environment.

I will get back, hopefully sooner than later but I want whatever position I land to continue my progression where I can get the chance to become another success story.
That is partially the reason I came to Silicon Valley and is why I resolve to stay until I prove I do not contain the talent needed to succeed. Time will tell as to how my quest works out. That is why I subject myself to THIS.

No comments: