Friday, March 19, 2010

Never to proud to accept help by Tony Green

image of helping hand

Layoffs are never easy regardless of the state of the economy. It is difficult for seasoned professionals who are used to getting up and earning a good living on their own to admit they need a helping hand to get back on their feet. On the one hand you are not proud of the fact you are out of work. Yet on the other hand you never may identify who may be in a position to help you. You want to be open but you do not want to seem desperate.
Case in point, I was at the swimming lesson with my son and I started a conversation with one of the other parents whose son and daughter were completing their lessons. I discovered his wife worked at an employment placement agency. I had worked with the agency before in a previous position before but my recollection of them was they did not work with positions which fit my background. I glanced at my son practicing his backstroke and when he turned around handed his cell phone to me. His wife was on the phone waiting to speak. Quite frankly the action surprised me. I felt somewhat awkward at first and I nearly declined to take the call.
I thought here might be an opportunity I would not come across otherwise. So I spoke with her and described the position I desired. She told me to send her my resume and she would see what might be available. Prior to hanging up I thanked her for your time and handed the phone back to her husband. I made sure as soon as I returned home, so I would not forget, I sent her my resume as an attachment in an email. Who knows what will result but I motivated since it seemed I was not alone in this endeavor.
No I never said I could not ask for help because of my pride. If only I did not need assistance as much as I have lately in the challenging economy…

No comments: