Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Language and English by Tony Green

The way everyone views the world is shaped by their experiences through life. This is normally a combination of formal education in a class room setting, degrees, certificate, and informal education, which includes life experience, clubs, association, church, etc. My training is in engineering, with a stint in the military then business school after I left the service.

Overall, I am quite pleased with my background; it has provided me the opportunity to do what I enjoy and make a decent living simultaneously. My two shortcomings were foreign languages and writing.

I hate to admit but I underestimated the importance of these two skills. In high school I was pushed to a technical curriculum and I seemed destined to pursue either medical school or engineering. I thought writing and languages would be skills which I would not need to focus on. Years later I feel extremely silly for thinking that way.


Sure, I took language (Spanish) and writing courses. I enrolled in those classes and got through them to because of graduation requirements. That should have provided a hint in retrospect.


The reason languages are wonderful things to learn are they function as windows to minds and cultures of others. Insight into cultures is one of the most important methods of building relationships.

In regards to my writing on many occasions (as my M. B. A. professors can tell you) when I had many wonderful ideas, however, I had a difficult time expressing myself. The object of writing is being able to communicate and express your ideas to others.

Does this sound familiar to you? No worries, time is always available to improve and learn as long as you are breathing. Upon further thought I should pass the word along to my children as it is knowledge they would want to know. Communication, albeit written or spoken is something they will need as adults.

No comments: