Saturday, April 18, 2009

Blog following by Tony Green

Webblogs or blogs are becoming more and more popular. Any individual can showcase their thoughts in the event you want to say something and a platform to do so. A person can choose tofollow a blog which means every time an update occurs the latest entry can be read in a reader. In most circumstances somebody chooses to follow someone’s postings when the content of interest to them. The subject matter of the blogs you read on regular basis tell a lot about you, however, who you follow perhaps a bit more.
For the record here are the webblogs I follow, the reason why and how I came to add them over the noise of all of thousands of other communications I am bombarded with in a daily basis.
1. Joel Spolsky
I read his monthly column in Inc. Magazine. His postings provide a good balance of high technology, common sense and military knowhow. This isn’t surprising as his background from Ex Israeli army, a former employee at Microsoft, and now is running his own software company.
2. Robert Scoble
I read his material for the first time in Fast Company magazine. The link to the blog was in the byline of the article. I always tried to check out his latest musings when I could from then forward. I enjoy his postings because of their direct style. Additionally, they make me think about a vantage point on a topic I had not examined.
3. Denise Lee Yohn
I have never met Denise face-to-face. I was “introduced” to her while I was the VP of Workshops for the Silicon Valley American Marketing Association (SVAMA). I was considering conducting a seminar on Branding. Ultimately, we were unable to come to an agreement. In the end I wound up on her email list. During a quiet moment at home I read some of her postings. As an engineer trained marketer I am aware that many technical trained folks have no idea of the importance of a brand. Her insights caught my attention within an instant.
4. Denise Shiffman
I met Denise who led a SVAMA workshop last year on the topic of the Age of Engage. I try to conduct research the speaker to judge if they would be a fit in before agreeing to allow a speaker conduct a seminar. I find her insights witty and insightful. Her book, which is the same title of her presentation, is a definite recommended read if you want you know about social networking.
Is there a theme to the choice of these selections of blogs to follow? Is a recommendation to read printed magazines regularly? How about being active in non-profits marketing organizations? What does that say about me? I will let you check these blogs for yourself and be the judge.
Overall, I think that it would be quite flattering to have someone follow what I wrote. Who these people are would serve nicely as the topic of another blog posting. Anyone care to help me out by following this blog? Just kidding….

Photo courtesy of Dreamstime.com

No comments: