Saturday, June 9, 2007

Feeling the Aloha Spirit by Tony Green

Palm Tree image in Tony Green's Blog
A few weeks back I had the opportunity to attend a going-away party for one of my wife’s Halau (School) members who was moving back to the big island of Hawaii.
The purpose of the party was to wish them well in their future endeavors as the invitation specifically requested no presents other than your presence. The entire Halau were gathered with their families and friends to celebrate the spirit of Aloha.
As expected, everyone there was friendly and supportive in true Aloha style and was the Hawaiian band played melodies that added to an already relaxed atmosphere. The warm atmosphere was a refreshing way to spend a Sunday afternoon before a hectic week of work in Silicon Valley. After I thought about it was not the first time I felt touched by the Aloha spirit. I recalled noticing the first-hand about the spirit of Aloha while I was stationed in Hawaii.
During my time in Hawaii I met many warm people who imparted the ways of the islands more. After examining its rich history and the so it was clear why Hawaii is such a special place. One of the major things I noticed on this afternoon was how many peoples of different ethics backgrounds could come together and fellowship as people.
It gave me some hope for the future that my children and their children could live in world where that could be judged for the type of people they are and not their racial heritage. I wish that the warmth and openness of the islands could make more appearances on the mainland.

No comments: