Thursday, May 30, 2013

Riding the cable car as a resident by Tony Green

One of the most famous tourist attractions in San Francisco are its world renowned cable cars. 
Millions of tourists from all over the world a year visit the city just to get the opportunity to experience the ride through the city streets. As a long time residents of the Bay Area my family decided to pretend we were tourists and make a pilgrimage as a family.  Once we got in line after purchasing our tickets we waited over an hour while being entertained by a homeless person with a saxophone.

Image of cable car
My wife and kids found open seats once the new car was ready for boarding; therefore, I rode the cable car standing up.  Once I made sure I had a firm grip on the rail I was pleasantly surprised when I realized when I had the best view of all. At one point during the ride we cruised past Lombard Street (a.k.a. the crooked street). A stunning view of the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz Island, followed which was in plain view to riders on the left side of the train, complemented by the sound of horns moving vehicles in the path of the oncoming cars out of the way. I needed to hold on tight as the left turn was made onto Hyde Street prior to passing within inches of parked automobiles and the cable car speeding in the other direction.


Finally, we arrived at Fisherman’s Wharf and the conductor announced the end the ride. After a second of hesitation everyone dismounted the cable car to continue the rest of their day. In short, six bucks a person seems like a lot to shell out for a short trip through the hills of the City of San Francisco. Riding the cable cars is more than a short ride; it is an opportunity to experience of one of the world most interesting places. Honestly, you should not have to travel around the world to check out this attraction if you live here. Especially since I have lived in the Bay Area for over 13 years; shame on me. If only my drive across the Bay Bridge to back to Livermore would be half as entertaining.

Photo courtesy of www.streetcar.org 

No comments: