Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Acoustic Guitar for me by Tony Green


Tony on his acoustic guitar
I took guitar lessons years ago at my local community center and while I have not practiced much over the years the lure to play the guitar still exists for me. Many people learn to play in order to form and join rock bands which primarily use electric guitars.

And why not? People always gravitate toward performers. How many times have you checked out a band and the guy on the guitar might not be very good looking yet all pretty ladies in attendance are eager to hang out with him?

Perhaps, I am different, since the only guitar in my closet which I intend to play is an acoustic one.  
The concept is simple, a person and their instrument singing ballads from the heart does more for the soul than a group playing the latest electric/electronic equipment to a stadium of thousands. 
I remember during my time in college on Sunday nights one of our favorite hangouts had an “unplugged” night where the performers completed their play sets using instruments which did not require electricity.

I thought it was fascinating to feel the experience of the sound created by a hand played instrument and a person’s voice.

I recall listening to “Songs of Freedom“ by a 4 CD-ROM compilation of Bob Marley’s greatest hits  where a few of the songs sounded better with Bob signing in his trademark voice then the finished production version. How can you beat that?

I admit I probably will never play will enough to play my favorite Bob Marley songs but still get the urge to pick up my guitar and strum a few notes after a hard day at work. There is nothing more relaxing. Maybe this will motivate me to actually tune my guitar….   

No comments: