Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Is Entrepreneurship the way for me? by Tony Green


Does this image come to mind when you think about your job? 
There are occasions after a long day at work when you sit down and think to yourself, “Is this really worth it?”  I do not claim to a problem with working a job, or partnering with customers or helping to solve their problems. It is just the fact you are required to work with not only a boss, but with co-workers who on occasions require so much time and effort to manage you wonder how anything else gets done. Part of being an adult is having a job and taking care of your family. The question what is the most effective way to do accomplish this? Maybe I should inward at look some personal facts.

Fact 1) I read Inc. magazine

I have read Inc. magazine religiously since I arrived in Silicon Valley. I enjoy reading about people who built profitable businesses from nothing. Bear in mind many of the articles feature young entrepreneurs who had taken the challenge and succeeded. In many cases, these folks would have never had the opportunity to run their own shows if they focused on working to move up the ranks.

Fact 2) not to insult any bosses I ever had I believe in myself and in my abilities

I never claim to know everything yet on occasions I have wondered if I were the boss could I do the job more effectively than the next guy. I used to be a manager in the past and even though the responsibility was a painful experience at time the lessons I learned will be immensely helpful if I get the opportunity to manage again in the future. A common sense way I view things is your relation to your employees’ stops being focused about you and becomes how you are putting your staff in situations where they, and ultimately you, can be successful.  Can this concept be so difficult to grasp and execute on? Honestly this easy for me to say from the view point as an employee. 

Fact 3) who wouldn’t want to in charge of their own autonomy

Who would want to in charge of their own success and not depend on the politics of the workplace for your overall success? I would think the freedom of knowing your decisions will make you or break would are empowering. What excuse can you fall back on when there is no one else to pass the buck to or no one else to comprise you efforts trying to push their agenda?

Fact 4) you are not going to reach success and security working for someone else

As a result of my work experience I believe you will never reach you full potential working for someone. Employers hired employees to perform functions which are either needed or in some way undesirable. Since entrepreneurs hire people to improve the bottom lines of their companies and stand to result the most financial when you are successful where does that leave you in the long term? Perhaps I might deal with a job better if I was convinced I did not possess the ability do better on my own. 

If  the decision were not the matter of keeping bills paid and benefits current, and having used all of my cash reserves getting through the recession perhaps I should give a shot someday.

No comments: