Friday, November 18, 2011

Geez, I am so sorry by Tony Green


Handicapped spot

A few weeks ago I went to the Halloween store with my children to view this year’s newest costumes.  I pulled into parking lot on a bright fall day in the San Francisco Bay area.  After looking at ghosts and goblins until we were satisfied we returned the car to go home when I realized I had parked in handicap spot. Granted no handicapped vehicles tried to park during my time inside the store, however, that did not change what happened.

There was no real excuse, the sun shined brightly and the light blue signs painted on the wall and on the ground were clear.  After my children I told me to move my car I had to admit my error to them.  I should have checked before pulling my car into the parking space. The extra walking to the entrance of the store from any of the other spaces would have hardly killed me.  I thought to myself, ”Geez, I am so sorry”.
The incident made me think of my time on the East Coast during large snowstorms when folks would dump the removed snow in the handicapped spaces. Everyone should take a moment to think about why these places exist. If you happened to be disabled and trying to be a productive member of society wouldn’t you want similar consideration? 

In the event someone with handicap license plates came by my Camry parked in the space designated for your use please accept my sincerest apology. I promise this oversight will not happen again. This will serve as my reminder we should all be sensitive to the plight of the handicapped.

No comments: