Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Content Marketing by Tony Green

content management system logo
Through the years several self proclaimed versions of marketing which have caught fire, gained popularity and sold millions of book for their authors. The most famous ones are “Guerilla Marketing” by Jay Conrad Levinson, “Punk Marketing” by Mark Simmons and Richard Laerner, and “Duct Tape Marketing” by John Jantsch. I might define midnight marketing as conducting marketing activities under the radar against management against using the latest technology/techniques to reach customers. I am sure you might name a few or create your own.

When I saw the term “content marketing” on the view projector as I arrived slightly late after the beginning of the breakfast due to the usual Silicon Valley Traffic on Route 101 I was wondering if I would take away something I could use. The reason I came is I knew for the high tech marketer, particularly the Internet marketer, content was the endgame. Any some insight I had the opportunity to take away on topic would a good thing.

Any website manager will tell you we are all in the eyeballs business. Everyone is competing for viewers, page-views, click-through, which are all activities which use our eyeballs. Has anyone ever thought of what draws those eyeballs? That’s right the eyeball magnet is content.

Content provides useful or entertaining information through the preferred delivery medium the reader uses. Additionally, the content and its delivery correspond with the customers buying cycle. Optimizing the process is done by talking, reading, learning the business pains point, getting to customer to engage. The devil is in the
details is determining content which works best.

In my view this sounds like a reasonable take-away over some bacon and coffee. Once breakfast was finished and its participants were beginning to move to the next part of their day I thought to myself. What are my customers looking for and what is the best means to make their requested information available to them when they are most receptive? Alas, that is what content marketing at all about. You heard it now keep your eyes open for content marketing to join the other marketing version at a book store near you.

The idea for this posting came from workshop conducting for the Business Marketing Association BMA by Jon Assilian, CEO of Viewstream Company Website: http://www.viewstream.com

No comments: