Sunday, February 26, 2012

What no virus protection for my Smart Phone by Tony Green


Image of Smart Phone
I received an email from Comcast Xfinity, my high speed internet provider, the other day informing me their software had detected a “bot” on one of the computers which access my high speed connection. I checked my laptop for viruses using Microsoft Essentials {which I would recommend using for free before paying either Norton or McAfee} which came out free on any malware.
At this point I realized since the last year my wife was using her IPhone and our children were using their IPod Touch’s to surf the Internet.

Surely, I could find some free or cheap software designed for smart phones to protect against Internet intrusions. Interestingly enough, solutions existed for the Android operating system but not Windows or Safari browsers. Does this sound crazy at the rate people are buying these devices? More ever folks are using these mobile devices for more often for important functions such as banking and on line purchases.

If I were a hacker I would design a virus design for the IPhone and try to infect peoples home networks created with wireless routers with inadequate firewall protection.

Enough of my rambling, back to the problem, how can I ensure my families smart phones stay virus free? From the times I picked up viruses on my laptop and my desktop computers I did not have desire to address lost data and applications with my smart phones.

All this is another confirmation of the fact if you own any smart device with Internet capability then every bot, virus, or Adware created has possible access to all of your Internet ready devices. How you address this fact is up to you.

No comments: