Saturday, October 16, 2010

No more regional business? by Tony Green

The first week in a new position is typically spent getting used to new co-workers, systems, and processes.  But there are times where you encounter something which makes to think.

I was reviewing the companies’ brochures and I read a statement which stated in their view in the future regional businesses would be a thing of the past. The idea was due to the Internet altering the method products are selected regional marketplaces will be eliminated and transformed into one large global market.
The company focused on providing growth consulting solutions globally so this seemed quite logical. On a deeper level, my initial feeling was customers, who are on a local and provincial basis have requirements which are relevant to their locality and would be most attracted to a customized local offering.

In a previous position I came from a regional company who wanted to become global by expanding their offerings. I remember many of the challenges I faced trying to create a market plan to expand our offerings and being met by resistance due to the fact my methods failed to be agree with their regional perspective.
Over time the actuality became to clear to me management was not ready to become global since the management could not stop looking at global markets from its local viewpoint.

The concept of one all encompassing international market would be reality if every person on earth lived in one location with identical way of filling their needs. The Internet allows communication and dialog across the different people and individuals but the medium does not allow everyone to be the same even if a requirement to market to smaller groups existed.  

What if they are right and regional businesses became a thing of the past? In that case, the result would be lot of companies with cloudy futures. For now I will need to let their futures work themselves out. I have a job to learn.

No comments: