Sunday, November 9, 2008

Watering hole by Tony Green

Image of Himeji Castle in Tony Green's Blog
From my time in the military and working in high technology, I have visited Japan many times. Recently, I visited Himeji on a business trip for the first time.

Some places in Japan are more comfortable for someone who did not speak Japanese to have drink after work without having a translator available.

Other places in the Japanese countryside might not be as amenable. In short, you would have a difficult going into a place and ordering a beer. Upon my arrival in Himeji, I was unsure where Himeji fit in.

After dinner, my colleagues were nice enough to take me to a watering hole where a foreigner could feel comfortable as the bartender and many of the patrons spoke English.

It was the quintessential Dive Bar where only after coming a few times for drinks you determined who the regulars are. In the course of an evening, you can have a conversation with a person in Japanese/English, another with some fellows from Germany, finally to a pair of girls from the Philippines.

If you are looking for a foreigner bar in Hijemi, check out the Tiger Pub. It is well worth the visit.

No comments: