Tuesday, January 8, 2008

After my Professional Certified Marketer Certification by Tony Green


It has been a year since I passed my Professional Certified Marketer (P.C.M.) exam, therefore being certified to call myself a marketer. In the context of marketing what does the designation of a Professional Certified Marketer mean? If the words were to be dissected into their individual words you would have the words Professional, Certified, and Marketing. As for the meaning of professional and certified the definitions are straight forward. The definition of marketing is another matter. There are a plethora of definitions for marketing varying in their complexity and length.
The latest American Marketing Association definition of marketing reads “Marketing is the activity, conducted by organizations and individuals, that operates through a set of institutions for processes of creating , communicating, delivering, and exchanging marketing offering that have value to customers, clients, marketers and society at large”.
Internet Marketer Ben Hart defines marketing in his e-book Automatic Marketing as “Marketing is the process of putting bait in the water to attract leads and then putting these leads into a sifting and sorting system that will allow you to identify your most likely customers”.
Cynthia Holliday of Upright Marketing defines marketing as, “Getting the right product to the right customer at a profit to the business”.
In my view, the definition of marketing is a realization selling anything does not just happen on its own but needs a process to enable success for both parties involved. On one side is the seller your company or your employer and on the other side is the buyer who is your client or your customer. Marketing in my view is about that process on how the supply of one meets with the demand of the other. My certification has helped me to polish my tools to achieve a smooth process which in the long term ensures success for both parties. Who could argue with a win-win situation for both parties? It seems to me that one should not need to be certified to come to that common sense conclusion. In hindsight if that is what being certified means to me then perhaps I have been a marketer all along.

No comments: