Sunday, February 20, 2011

Can I really Learn Japanese? by Tony Green

Written Kanji Characters

This adventure started in December of 1996. I had just begun my initial western deployment as third class petty officer aboard the U.S.S. Topeka based out of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. My first stop would be the naval base in Yokosuka, Japan. Our port call would be my first trip to a foreign country and I thought there would be a benefit to knowing a little Japanese by the time I arrived.

I bought a book titled “Speaking Japanese” at the Navy Exchange on base and begin to read. During deployment while you are on station plenty of time is available to study due to our rotation of six hours on watch and 12 hours off. After a few days it was good to get you mind into something else other than engineering and submarine qualifications.   

Over time I was able to learn a enough to converse on a basic level. Once I left the Navy I had placed the action item on my list of life objectives was to take a formal Japanese class. I realized only so much knowledge could be absorbed without proper coaching. Hasn’t every native English speaker had some instruction in grammar while they were in school?

Typically my family visits my in-laws once a year in addition I have had to go to Japan for business purposes. It seemed logical to try and improve on my skill set. When I mention my wife and children are able to converse people in general expect I should be able to comprehend the language in some capacity.
I have encountered many people who assume that since my spouse is a native speaker she should be able to teach you. In theory this is true but in reality some level of understanding of the language needs to be n place before a native speaker would be able to help you. For instance, if I met a person who wanted to learn English but not able to not speak more than one or two word snippets then my native speaking skills are useless until a command of some basic grammar was in place.

When I looked at classes taught by surrounding community colleges and universities I found they were rather expensive. I was at a networking meeting a few months ago and someone mentioned the Japan Society of Northern California as a place where I might attend classes from a beginner level. I had picked enough a good deal knowledge on an ad hoc basis, where might studying in a structured environment lead me?

As an update I started a formal class with the Japan society of Northern California for the first time. Grammar is a good thing to understand to get a feel for a language. Day by day I am able to comprehend an increasing amount of my wife’s conversations with my daughter.

I admit I will probably never become fluent but how far can I go? Can I ever engage in dialogue in Japanese? Have a conversation with my in laws? Only time will tell.  

Photo courtesy of IStock.com

No comments: