Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Why should you Re-tweet my content by Tony Green

Should I Re-tweet this post?

I normally use my Google Reader to read the latest postings from the blogs I subscribe to.  The newest postings show the title and the first sentence with a TweetMeMe icon referring to how many times a blog had been re-tweeted.

Many of the people I follow receive many re-tweets. This is in stark contrast to my posts which hardly get re-tweeted.  The fact led me to inquire as to what makes a posting or tweet worthy of being chosen to be passed along to their followers.

I reached out to a few of the people who maintain some high quality blogs and posed the question of what made some posts worthy of re-tweeting. To my surprise, they were kind enough to provide feedback to my question.

In short, it comes down to remarkable content and an audience who appreciates the content enough to take action.  Remarkable content meaning the message provides value to your audience and someone feels what you wrote is of high enough quality to endorse it with their followers as materials worthy of reading. A receptive audience is one who is open to posting interesting and thought provoking content.  Finally, reading and approving is not enough but next step, clicking the re-tweet button must occur. Now things were beginning to get clearer.

Perhaps if I learn my audience, and write content that resonates with them I will have a better chance to get my content re-tweeted. Maybe I should for the moment stop reading my feeds and open up my Microsoft Word program. I have a lot of work to do.  Remarkable content does not create itself.

No comments: