Sunday, January 10, 2010

My New Smart Meter by Tony Green

Tony Green's smart meter

The time had finally come. I never thought I would see the day. I received a letter from PG&E few weeks back stating someone would be installing a smart meter in our home. I was skeptical in light of the economy it somehow would fail to happen.

The old meter monitored the amount of electricity you used in kilowatt Hours and used this to determine your bill every month.

The new meter would allow, in addition, to measuring power but enable renewable energy sources such as Wind, Solar, and Plug-In vehicles to provide power back to the electric grid.

The installer arrived at my house and informed me they would be securing power temporarily to install the meter and would knock on the door to let me know prior to shutting off the power.

I am been reading in print and electronic media that these Smart Meters will be the wave of the future revolutionizing the method power is used and consumed. They will be required if the enormous potential of renewable energy would be fulfilled. The adoption of technology which changes lives often takes a long amount of time to transpire.

In fact, Electric charging stations were in the process of being installed in nearby San Jose which would enable Electric Vehicle to power up in the same fashion car acquire fuel at filling stations. This is an important hurdle that must be cleared it all Vehicles powered by batteries are going to gain widespread adoption.

Perhaps these events signal the beginning of the energy independent future we have dreamed of?

For now, I needed to stop visualizing about possibilities of the future. I hear a knock at the door. Perhaps the time to make alternative energy a reality is here at last.

No comments: