Monday, May 25, 2009

Value of my education by Tony Green

Tony Green Blog - Value of Education
I read a Smart Money magazine article detailing a study on value of Ivy League schools. The writer surveyed working professionals to determine the average salaries for its graduates 15 years after graduation. Afterward the typical costs of tuition and other fees for four years of study were tallied.

The ratio of these numbers determined the “value” of the university. In short, the number is a measure how well the graduates doing money-wise compared with how much they paid to receive their education.

This led me to recall my undergraduate decisions after high school. I was privileged enough to be admitted to the engineering programs of six high caliber universities. Two of these happened to be Ivy League schools.

I pondered the options and after considering my brother would attending college within a year and the huge financial burden to my family I decided to attend the school where received a full scholarship.

20 years after the fact I wonder how my life would turned out if I had attended an Ivy League institution.

I reviewed the list of universities and noticed my university was listed in the top ten schools in terms of value. I never doubted I received a fine education but would I have received a better one with a more expense school? I did not think so then and I do not think so now. Without a doubt the worth of an education is not based solely on the income accumulated after years in the work force but it is a start.

I must confess being gratified seeing my decision being re-affirmed after all of these years.

No comments: