Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Someone actually looked at my website? By Tony Green

A year ago I started my personal website partly because, at the time, creating a website seemed like a neat thing to do and I had seen some other good personal websites and technology has made it easy to get a site up in a small amount of time.

The idea was to make information available about myself which may not come across during a job interview. I wrote the content in attempt to capture the highlights of my life, professional work history, and my ideas and interests.

I tried to utilize the principles of search engine optimization (SEO) to make my name appear as high as possible in the rankings. Additionally, I launched a Pay-Per-Click (PPC) program with the aim of getting the name Tony Green to the top of any searches in case building my ranking too longer than I had planned.

Unfortunately, I neglected to update the content as often as I should by neglecting to add new content which is required to keep your rankings high. In any case, since I am looking for employment I have less time to work on the original content which the Google spiders love to index. The key is to contain enough content in place at any one given time to ensure an online presence is established.

Many employers are trying to find out about their prospective employees by running their name through a Google check in attempts to try and find out more information about a candidate. I discovered one of my prospective employers found my website through Google. The recruiter I was working with reported they were impressed with what they found. It convinced them I was someone they wanted to add to their team.

As a result my new employer identified the possibility of other assets I could provide value for the company. (Other than the sales job I was trying to be hired for) I shouldn’t complain though, if no one checked your site how good is that?

No comments: